Thursday 24 April 2014

sound track selection

As I had been inspired by the guardian advert “points of view” made in the ‘80s I listened carefully to its soundtrack and it is interesting as it is an authoritative voiceover. It is like an old pathe news report almost. Interesting but not very current, I think in the 1980s this would have come across in a different way than today, but I also did not want to have a script as this too is telling people what to think in a way. I looked at the site below to find out some real life issues with sound tracks and copyright etc and this is really interesting stuff. So I decided I needed to make music myself to use, either electronically or in a beatbox style. http://www.shockwave-sound.com/Articles/106_Choosing_Music_for_Short_Film_Projects.html I looked at other classical type violin soundtracks, but to me those seem to be taken as either romantic or horror films, that is what springs to mind when there is no narrative, so I looked at creating some electronic music. I also listened to famous classical soundtracks – like The William Tell overture, which is probably best known for the lone Ranger, and as I listened to the soundtracks and realised how many were so familiar just because of the adverts or films they had been associated with, it made me realise how important the soundtrack is. http://listverse.com/2011/04/07/top-10-best-known-classical-melodies/ As I am a beatboxer, this is a great option for me, and I can match the sound to the rhythm of the film, and also I think it is a current sound, and so brings the film up to date and relevant today. I am pleased with the soundtrack I made, it matches the atmosphere of the film and gives it an edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment