Wednesday 6 August 2014

surrealism and nightmares (inspiration for nightmares comp)

Surrealism and nightmares As i have been studying art for a while now the topic of nightmares made me think of surrealism. This is defined as being an artistic movement that attempts to describe/portray the subconscious, and so naturally this often leads to nightmarish pieces of art. I am thinking of Dali to start with, perhaps he is the best known surreal artist. The depictions in many of his works are nightmarish, this lead me to think of “darker” art works, like Edvard Munch’s the scream, which is now linked with the horror film of the same name. Though he was not a surrealist painter, this image is certainly macabre and there is a surreal element to it as far as I’m concerned. And it is the stuff of nightmares too. Like many recognised works Dali’s painting « Sleep » is nightmarish for sure, in a surreal way. All theses images have affected my thoughts on nightmares and how to create a piece of art myself, it has to be something that I would be afraid of, I think that looking at these pictures from this perspective has helped me define that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment