Wednesday 6 August 2014

Fuseli "the nightmare"(inspiration for nightmares comp)

While trying to develop my ideas about nightmares and how i could depict them, i had to think a lot about what nightmare really means, and i realised that actually this is a subjective concept. What is a nightmare for one person is not necessarily so for another. I looked at older artworks and these are often religion based, to do with the devil or evil “creatures” waiting to do you damage or take you off the path of good. I looked at Fuseli’s painting The Nightmare which was painted in 1781 This is a good example of how the person asleep is dressed in white to represent good and the evil creature is on her torso and he is waiting to corrupt her. So while it represents a nightmare, it is not really nightmarish at least not these days, so I need to think about context. I think this is too much of a mini - story, for it to be a nightmare now, I think it has to be more nightmarish.

No comments:

Post a Comment